Thursday, April 7, 2016

Getting intimate with the BC

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Today, we had a little mishap. Upon returning from our trip to the North Texas Chapter Rally, we set up fairly quickly so we could go eat lunch. Tony handles the outside stuff while I set up the auto-level and take care of inside stuff. 

On Monday, I knew I might be doing laundry, so I asked him if he had opened the grey tank valve, and he said he had. 

Tuesday afternoon, I noticed a funny smell in the rig while I was doing laundry. Sort of a grey tank "dirty water" smell. But I thought maybe it was the AC pulling in gasses from the grey tank vent, located nearby. 

About 8pm as the last load of laundry for the day was running, I went into the bathroom and felt "squish" on the rug. Immediately turning on light, I discovered the shower full of grey water, and water all over the bathroom floor!

We realized that Tony forgot to open our extra valve, on the end of the sewer line, which caused the tank to back up and flow into the shower and beyond!! 

He opened that valve and everything drained immediately, but we needed to make sure it didn't leak into the basement and behind the basement wall, under the bathroom.

Tony worked on emptying the basement, and I worked on cleaning up the bathroom. 

Upon emptying the basement and removing the back basement wall, we found water had leaked into a furnace vent, and it was sagging from the water -- but not enough to flow into the furnace.

We found some puddled water in places, but nothing too bad. 

I think we finally crawled in bed about 10:30pm once we moved all the basement stuff to my suv temporarily. 

We put fans on the bathroom and basement, left the basement doors open, and with the low humidity of the next day, windy weather and warm temps in the 80s, everything dried easily. 


With the wall down, you can see her innards!

Although it was a preventable scenario, it was good to learn about the bowels of the rig and what "could happen" with water leaks. The plumbing, furnace and some of the tanks are accessible via this area, much more than our previous rig. 

We also noted the water pump could probably move and be less in the way for future access. We planned to replace the pump anyway, with the Flowjet VSD variable speed pump we took out of our previous rig before selling. 

I also ordered some water sensors from our security company. These will alert us via text an email if they detect water in the future. 


1 comment:

  1. Erika, I like the idea of water sensors. Where are you going to get them from? Can you send me a link>

    ReplyDelete